Sunday 21 September 2014

Kurt Cobain's Music Theory


Nirvana's Nevermind topped the US charts on it's way to selling over 10 million copies.
As we see, Kurt Cobain was at best ambivalent about the album or what it represented.
Nevermind proved to have a seismic effect on nineties music.

Cobain's 'anti-macho' mindset would inform his instinctive approach to the guitar: he was a player with an exceptional ear for both emotive melody and for riffs that set mospits alight.
He told Fender's Frontline magazine in 1994: "The battle is the pleasure. I'm the first to admit that I'm no virtuoso. I can't play like Sevogia. The flip side of that is that is that Sevogia could probably never had played like me."

Indeed Kurt's schooling in the art of all things guitar was rudimentary at best: "I took lessons for a week, I learned how to play Back In Black by AC/DC, and it's pretty the Louie Louie Chord, so that's all I neede to know. I just started writing songs on my own. Once you know the power chord, you don't need to know anything else."

No comments:

Post a Comment